Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Fat: 3.9 g. (17% of calories)
Fiber: 6.6 g.
Cholesterol: 0 mg.
Sodium: 375 mg.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 9 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup medium pearled barley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp hot-pepper sauce
- 1 can (19 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
In a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the celery, carrots and onions. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until tender.
Add the stock, barley, garlic, soy sauce and hot-pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the barley is just tender.
Stir in the beans; simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until heated through.