- 1 lb Tomatillos (approximately 15)
- 1/4 Onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp lime juice
- 1 dash grated lime peel
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 fresh Jalapeño pepper seeded and deveined
- 1/2 tsp finely ground pepper
- 3 Jalapeño peppers en Escabeche (canned pickled jalpeños) – plus 1 T juice from can.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro leaves (about 1/2 a bunch)
Husk the tomatillos and rinse well. Cover with cool water in a sauce pan and heat to boiling. Cook another 5 minutes, drain and set aside to cool.
Add all other ingredients into a blender along with about half the warm tomatillos and cautiously chop the mix to allow for steam expansion as the tomatillos are mixed in. Then puree the blender contents.
Add the rest of the tomatillos when they have cooled to luke warm and blend until a smooth consistency is reached. Add the chopped cilantro and mix briefly.